Monday, June 20, 2011

Stupid Situation #6: Talking About Your Loss at Work

Sorry in advance, but this one is going to be a bit long!

I have learned some very important things in the past year. Apparently there have been revisions to the amendment that grants us our freedom of speech, especially in the workplace. Typically employers look the other way at non-work related conversations outside of breaks or lunch (unless you work in the equivalent of a sweat shop). However, what I didn't know is that there are some rules about what is "appropriate non-work related conversations while working" and what is (insert horror movie music here).

A month after I returned to work after losing my son, I was taken into a room by my boss, my boss's boss, and an HR Representative, where I was told that I was making people uncomfortable by talking about my child. I was told that these people felt like they couldn't put pictures of their children in their cubicles. I was told that they felt like they couldn't talk to me about their happy times, like the births of their children.

At the time I burst into tears. Now, the anger rides over me when I think about it. What bereaved mother wants to hear even a portion of that? I know that all of us have our own way of coping, and how long it takes for us to be able to tolerate seeing pregnant women and babies, or to just hear talk about it in general, but I'm pretty certain that none of us wanted that thrust in our face during our first month back to work!

This friendly "well-meaning" HR Representative proceeded to tell me that my company had some "help" options for me, and she handed me a brochure which also included names of day cares and a giant picture of a baby on the front.

I was told to just tell people "I was having a bad day" instead of talking about it. I was told that I could only have these conversations at breaks or lunches and quietly. I argued back that it meant that these other people then had to only talk about their "good times" during breaks and lunches and was told, "That's not what we meant." Sure it is. And I wrote it down, every word they said, if I ever need to use it again, that's after I cried for two straight days.

It's taken me almost a year to cool off from that incident. And here I sit, three weeks after my second miscarriage after my stillbirth and my boss brings it up again that someone complained that me talking about my miscarriage was making them uncomfortable.

I'm not even the teeniest bit sorry. They have a moment of uncomfortableness, and I have a lifetime of it. The other thing that grates on me is the junior high attitude of a grown man or woman going to the HR Department to complain. I wish there were "Whiner" badges to hand out to people. Or to staple to their forehead.

So here is what I've been able to figure out about appropriate conversations
As generated by my current employer, acceptable non-work related conversations during working hours include:

Sports
This includes who won what game, what teams are playing, fantasy football/gambling, how many children are playing for what recreational teams and how many home runs they got and how you are training your three year old to be the next Venus Williams), and how many beers you had while golfing.

Celebrations
This includes marriages, births, birthday party planning for your one year old where you talk in detail about his/her accomplishments, successful doctor appointments for your newborn where you give great detail about his/her growth percentile or that his/her stool has changed for the better, announcements of pregnancies and every week that you have made it through so far, and how little Johnny lost his first tooth.

Food
This includes recipes, restaurants, picnic planning, and how little Johnny is breastfeeding still, and topics about stopping breastfeeding and moving to solid food.

Death
This includes mourning your grandparents, your parents, your siblings, your friends, and your pets.

The list goes on and on. Unacceptable topics include:

Baby Loss
This includes miscarriages, blighted ovums, chemical pregnancies, stillbirths, burials for your child, memorials for your child, or the surgery that you were forced to have when your child died.

And that's it. The list is remarkably shorter, isn't it?

I just hope that none of you have to deal with an employer that fails to try to understand a baby loss mommy's grief, and instead who spends a lot of time making sure that everything is getting done and making you feel bad if you are perhaps working a little slower than normal.

If you do, then my heart is with you, and feel free to rant away.

4 comments:

  1. My god Tisi, you have a shitty HR department. Also shitty co-workers deciding to go over your head rather than talk to you.

    Of course they would feel awkward around you for a while and might not like to hear about your troubles (I can't imagine anyone liking babyloss stories) but they are grown ups and it's the real world. Bad things happen. They should face it and stop acting like babies. Just because we don't talk of such things doesn't mean they don't happen.

    I am really angry that you have been talked to in such a way.

    Sending love
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do people think it's okay to make the GRIEVING MOTHER worry about how she's making everyone else feel? You would think they'd worry about how they are making HER feel. I hate it! I had a shitty supervisor that got mad at me 3 days after I returned from work, a week after losing my second son, because I wasn't doing enough work. Grr. How does someone get to the point that they are SO uncomfortable with you talking about your losses that they complain to HR? Who does that?! I'd like to punch them in the face. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ended up here through google and I am startled to see in what way a company can treat its staff. I'm sure I would just get up and leave... (and get the union to go after them - but that's just where my country differs I suppose - it would not be just morally wrong to treat me that way...)

    But, of course, the rules of "do's and dont's" are present everywhere... I see it more like an unspoken stillness around me, the quiet waiting for me to get over myself and stop griefing the "fetus". Sometimes with surprised questions like "Did you have to give birth to it??" (Well, yeah... how else do you expect the dead baby to get out of there?) or "Did you actually know when it passed?" (Well... of course you had to look at a halfway-baby through a microscope?"... but now, some time later... it's mostly quiet and I see the eyes questioning my sanity if I have to leave early to go pick a gravestone... You're really NOT supposed to talk about loss. And not supposed to grieve longer than what is comfortable with other people. Then you're supposed to get up and have a "new baby" so as to forget the one who died.

    Sorry about the long comment - I just got started by your words ;-) I am so sorry for your losses.

    (My nick will take you to a swedish blog not related at all, I am otherwise at www.lighteningstrikestwice.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so very much for your love and support. I cannot believe your own experiences...the having to work more while grieving, the questions that keep coming (I too was asked if I had to give birth and I just stood there blinking at the person because I didn't know how to answer such a stupid question). And Sara, you're right. Bad things happen. We're all supposed to be there for each other....right? At least those of us who have lost have been, and that makes all the difference in the world. ((HUGS)) all.

    ReplyDelete