Saturday, June 25, 2011

Stupid Comment #5: The Worst Sound in the World is Children Whining

Apparently an earth shattering study has recently been done to detect the worst sounds to a human's ear. Number one on the list?

Whining.

It wasn't enough that this study was conducted, and that was the result, but several of my coworkers took up the conversation to make sure that everyone understood that it wasn't whining in general, but it was children whining. I was then privy to the age old comments of parents "I just can't stand it" and "He/she just won't shut up". (This was at the time that I was thinking, "And neither will you!")

I have an answer for the people of the world who are afraid of having to deal with this horrible noise, of having to put up with it day in and day out:

Don't have children!

In the meantime, stop subjecting me to your own whining. I would love nothing more than to listen to my children whining about having to go to bed early, or not getting their Pokemon toy at McDonald's. Poor you. To me, and to the women and men who have had to experience baby loss, it's the best sound in the world.

I'm also looking forward to the second worse sound in the world coming from my house some day: infant crying. I'm sure I'll get to hear my coworkers complaining about that one soon too.

I've decided that I'm going to make badges with a giant bright red "W" and hand them out for "Whiner". People can wear them like Hester in The Scarlet Letter. Then at least I would be able to tell which ones had been through what I've been through, and which ones seem to take their children entirely too much for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment